Eating Out After Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
Are you fearful of eating out after bariatric weight loss surgery? You are not alone. The thought of It can fill you with anxiety and dread. The good news is that with a few new strategies you can eat out and do it with confidence. Whether you are attending a social function such as a wedding or going to a restaurant, you can master the art of eating out and enjoy the experience.
Helpful Tips for Eating Out after WLS
- With so many people having special dietary requirements, social functions are much easier to attend after bariatric weight loss surgery. You can now use this option to stay on track without feeling different.
- Several days prior to the attending a Restaurant, I always view the menu online. This allows you to plan your meal ahead of time so you can order with confidence. Sometimes there may be nothing suitable, in this case I would generally ask if we could move the venue, or I would eat at home before hand and arrive a little later for coffee and maybe a little dessert.
- Some functions will offer only finger foods. I find that if you always have a plate in your hand with a couple of nibblies on it then people don’t keep pressuring you to eat more. It works!
- Remember to hydrate at least 30 minutes before your meal to avoid any confusion between thirst and hunger
- Eat slowly, chew your food, really saviour the flavour of what you are eating, enjoy every mouthful. There is no rush to finish your meal.
- Stop eating when you feel that first sign of satiety. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that you have had enough to eat.
- Enjoy the company you are with. Talking and interacting will help slow down your eating process.
- If there is food left on your plate, ask the waiter for a take-out container, and take it home for later.
- Avoid Alcohol. Apart from the hidden calories, alcohol is metabolised differently after bariatric weight loss surgery. You can get quite tipsy very quickly and lose control of your eating and alcohol consumption.
Planning prior to your social engagement
will diminish stress and worry of eating out allowing you to enjoy a normal social life after weight loss surgery. You just won’t eat as much as you used to and you will be surprised how easy it is to maintain a social life after weight loss surgery.